Review: Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
Last year we got the second installment in the Dishonored series of stealth and action games, and now, less than a year later, we get the separate sub-release Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, which we can consider an expansion of the story beyond that Events of the second part, and today we share with you our review and impressions of this version, which we will not talk much about. It offers the same experience as the second part in terms of graphics level, gameplay style and melodies, but we will talk about the differences and new elements.
The story of the game here is the basis of this version, as the events take place after the story of the second part, when Emily Kaldwin returns to control her kingdom and repair what was destroyed during these events. Billie Lurk, a former member of the gang of the famous assassin Daud, who appeared in the additional content of the first part and helped you in the second part. She will play the main role here as, after helping Emily, she returns to Karnaca to search again for Daud, who had previously pardoned her after she betrayed him.
The Mission to Eliminate the Outsider
If you save Daud, you will be asked to complete one final mission with him, namely to eliminate the Outsider, this mysterious being who, for many years and centuries, has given his mysterious powers to desperate people and those who have been wronged. Daud accuses the Outsider of being the cause of the destruction and corruption caused by his powers, and you begin your mission to eliminate him by finding the knife that turned him into this form in the first place. The game’s story is very exciting and important for fans of the series as it focuses on the character of the Outsider, which we didn’t get enough answers about. The presentation is similar to the previous parts, where the events are ambiguous and unclear at the beginning and as time goes on, some surprising events and unexpected information emerge to clarify the story, which is the main strength of this version.
The game system, as already mentioned, is very similar to the previous installments and there is nothing to talk about except the new abilities since, unlike previous versions, you will only have three different supernatural abilities. The idea here is to focus on as much of a classic infiltration experience as possible, and even the enemies you find are noticeably stronger here to push you into the infiltration style. But the game still gives you the freedom to complete your missions the way you prefer, with plenty of options. This gives you the ability to move from one place to another in the blink of an eye, which is actually nothing new. You have the ability to take on the face of a character around you to deceive others, and finally you have the ability to stop doing this over time. Walk around in ghost form to spot the environment and enemies around you before proceeding.
Weaponry and Boncharms
As for weapons, you have a wider range of arrows to eliminate enemies with, and firearms are omitted here to better represent the character of the serial killer who completes his tasks in silence. You have different tool options to get rid of enemies by Knock them out without eliminating them. You can also accept job offers to complete them. Certain missions for money to purchase resources and Boncharms. Boncharms, as the series is called, are magical tools that give you an advantage in terms of character performance or strength. Unlike the previous parts, in this version you cannot develop and acquire supernatural abilities, as you only have three.
Of course, the experience doesn’t last as long as the second part and there are only a few missions, but as usual in the series, a mission will take you between one and two hours or more, and you can complete the experience within 7 hours, while you do some side missions and collect some secrets and magic parts, and if you want to get everything, the game will be able to take 15 hours or more of your time, the game offers many endings that will make you curious about the story of the next parts of the series. After completing the game for the first time, you can play the Original Game+ mode, which allows you to use the supernatural abilities from the second part to give a kind of renewal to the experience. Ultimately, the game offers an interesting story and satisfying gameplay for a game released at half the price.
Pros and Cons of Dishonored: Death of the Outsider PC Game
- Engaging Story: The game offers an exciting and important storyline that focuses on the character of the Outsider, providing answers to questions that fans of the series have been waiting for.
- Classic Infiltration Experience: The game system focuses on delivering a classic infiltration experience, allowing players the freedom to complete missions in their preferred style with plenty of options.
- New Abilities: Although the game features similar gameplay mechanics to previous installments, it introduces three new supernatural abilities that enhance the gameplay experience.
- Wide Range of Arrows: Players have access to a variety of arrows to eliminate enemies, emphasizing the stealthy nature of the protagonist.
- Side Missions and Secrets: The game offers the opportunity to engage in side missions and collect secrets and magic parts, adding depth and replayability to the overall experience.
- Multiple Endings: Dishonored: Death of the Outsider provides players with multiple endings, leaving them curious about the future of the series.
- Original Game+ Mode: After completing the game, players can enjoy the Original Game+ mode, which allows them to use supernatural abilities from the previous installment, providing a fresh take on the gameplay.
- Reasonable Price: The game offers an interesting story and satisfying gameplay at a lower price point compared to a full game release.
- Shorter Gameplay: The game’s main story and limited number of missions result in a shorter overall gameplay experience compared to the second installment.
- Limited Supernatural Abilities: Unlike previous versions, players can only acquire three supernatural abilities, limiting the character’s development and progression.
1. What is Dishonored: Death of the Outsider?
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider is a standalone expansion to the Dishonored series of stealth and action games. It continues the story after the events of Dishonored 2 and focuses on the character Billie Lurk as she embarks on a mission to eliminate the Outsider.
2. When does the game take place?
The events of Dishonored: Death of the Outsider take place after the story of Dishonored 2. Emily Kaldwin has returned to control her kingdom, and Billie Lurk, a former member of the gang of the famous assassin Daud, is on a mission to find and eliminate Daud.
3. What are the new elements in this version?
In Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, players have access to three different supernatural abilities, focusing on a classic infiltration experience. The game also introduces a wider range of arrows for eliminating enemies and omits firearms to better represent the character of a silent serial killer. Players can also accept job offers and complete side missions for resources and Boncharms.
4. How long does the game take to complete?
The main story of Dishonored: Death of the Outsider can be completed within 7 hours, but if players choose to do side missions and collect secrets, the game can take 15 hours or more. Additionally, the game offers multiple endings, adding to the replayability.
5. Can I use supernatural abilities from Dishonored 2 in this game?
After completing the game for the first time, players can unlock the Original Game+ mode, which allows them to use the supernatural abilities from Dishonored 2. This adds a renewed experience and further gameplay options.