Rebel Cops: A Strategy Game with a Twist
Rebel Cops is a strategy game developed by Weappy, a small studio based in Minsk, Belarus. They have a game before this one, which is This Is the Police. Rebel Cops is considered a side part of the previous game and is published by THQ Nordic. The game is a strategic role-playing game (turn-based tactical operations), similar to the X-COM games.
The story of the game takes place in the city of Rebellion, where a criminal squad led by a sadistic leader named Viktor Zuev comes to control the city with weaponry and skills. Zuev’s gang took control of all vital areas of the city. He controlled the police, merchants, banks and even doctors and hospitals. Everyone carried out their orders, but that wasn’t the end! Now you come into your role by leading some defected police officers who were considered criminals from the police station under Zuev’s control. Your task is to eliminate his gang one by one. During the events of the game you will be given simple side missions and stories, such as the mission to return an old arcade machine to one of the arcades that was stolen by the gangsters and other missions. The story captivated me in some moments and I consider it to be average.
The game’s graphics are normal and the art direction is average. The battle maps are 2D with some good details like the movement of grass and trees. The camera is permanently mounted and gave me some problems, e.g. B. because I didn’t know the exact position of the characters due to the ambiguity in some corners of the map.
The Unique Gameplay of Rebel Cops
The game system is largely based on X-COM, the most famous game of its kind, but also has its own advantages over that game. Each character on the battle map has a limited number of moves in which the characters can take cover in a cover position, and each cover has a meter that shows you the opportunity to avoid them. For lead. The game focuses on realism in this aspect, as one shot is enough to knock your character to the ground and die, but you can help the character within two turns. Plus, a headshot can kill any character outright… even if it’s your strongest character.
Characters come to you randomly. The death of a character is considered a final death. Before entering battle, you need to equip your team with equipment such as weapons, ammunition, a rescue bag, etc. All the necessary tools can be found in the in-game store, and you can collect money through the missions or tools you find in the game. Battle card.
Annoying Limitations and Slow Combat
The combat is fun and presents a great challenge and consideration, but there is one option missing from the game, namely the option to speed up combat, and I find it a big and annoying problem, as I know most games of this type This option included, such as the X-COM games. Imagine with me after I’ve shot down a lot of enemies on the map and they all die… Then at every step the camera rotates to each dying person to show their death scale! This slowed down the fight as the duration of a fight could reach a full hour due to this issue.
There is no audio presentation of the story, which you read through texts, and there is some music that I found so disturbing that I muted it. The game lasts about 30 hours and I think the main reason for this is the extreme slowness of the combat.
We obtained the PC version of the game through the publisher prior to release.
Pros and Cons of Rebel Cops PC Game
- Interesting storyline: The game offers a captivating storyline where players take on the role of defected police officers fighting against a sadistic gang leader. The side missions and stories add depth to the overall narrative.
- Realistic gameplay mechanics: The game focuses on realism, with characters having limited moves and the possibility of permanent death. This adds an extra layer of challenge and strategy to the gameplay.
- Unique cover system: The game introduces a cover system with meters that indicate the opportunity to avoid attacks. This adds a tactical element to battles and allows players to plan their moves strategically.
- Challenging combat: The combat in Rebel Cops is challenging and requires careful consideration. Players need to equip their team with the right weapons and gear to succeed in battles.
- Average graphics and art direction: The game’s graphics and art direction are considered average, lacking standout visuals that could enhance the overall gaming experience.
- Camera issues: The permanently mounted camera can be problematic, making it difficult to determine the exact position of characters in certain areas of the map.
- Lack of combat speed-up option: One major drawback is the absence of an option to speed up combat. This can lead to prolonged battles and a slower overall gameplay experience.
- Annoying music: Some players may find the game’s music disturbing and choose to mute it, impacting the overall audio presentation of the game.
Overall, Rebel Cops offers an engaging storyline and realistic gameplay mechanics. However, it falls short in terms of graphics, camera functionality, and the absence of a combat speed-up option. Despite these drawbacks, the game still provides a challenging and strategic gaming experience for players.
FAQs – Rebel Cops PC Game
1. What is Rebel Cops?
Rebel Cops is a strategy game developed by Weappy, a small studio based in Minsk, Belarus. It is a side part of the previous game, This Is the Police, and is published by THQ Nordic. The game is a turn-based tactical operations game, similar to the X-COM games.
2. What is the story of Rebel Cops?
The game is set in the city of Rebellion, where a criminal squad led by Viktor Zuev has taken control. Players take on the role of defected police officers who are considered criminals under Zuev’s control. The task is to eliminate Zuev’s gang one by one through various missions and stories.
3. How does the gameplay of Rebel Cops work?
The game features 2D battle maps where characters have a limited number of moves. Players can take cover in various positions, each with a meter indicating the opportunity to avoid being hit. Realism is emphasized, as one shot can kill a character, although they can be helped within two turns. Headshots can instantly kill any character. Characters are obtained randomly and their death is permanent.
4. Is there a speed-up option in combat?
No, there is no speed-up option in combat in Rebel Cops. This can be a drawback as battles can become lengthy, especially when the camera rotates to show each dying enemy. The absence of a speed-up option can slow down the pace of the game.
5. How long does it take to complete Rebel Cops?
The game lasts approximately 30 hours. The combat’s slowness contributes to the overall duration of the game. Players can expect a challenging and strategic experience throughout the gameplay.